eshchory

Hugh Laurie
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Mark Twain, Elijah Wood

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Marjane Satrapi I saw the film first. I can't exactly remember but I'm pretty sure the film was in French (with Hebrew subtitles, of course) but the French was easy enough for me to understand.
Then I saw the books in the library and gave them to my daughter who enjoyed reading them.
The film was amazing informative, funny and sad but the book was even better.
For a start it was the first graphic novel that felt like a full story. I normally feel distracted from the narrative by a graphics but with Persepolis the images and words melded together in front of my eyes to create the story.

Being about the same age as the author I clearly remember the Islamic Revolution and it was interesting to see it from an inside point of view, to understand that neither the establishment nor the revolutionaries can claim to be the ‘good guy’ but, as usual, the general populace suffered most.
She also shows the creeping Islamization of citizens and how the youth will still find a way to rebel and create an ‘underground’ culture.

The author makes this story very personal and accessible through her humourous narrative. It is not the 'heavy' book you would imagine from such a difficult situation but through her direct writing style she manages address some serious subjects.